11 AM—12:30 PM
Join Preena Chauhan of Arvinda’s Spices & Chai and discover mouth-watering international flavours in this demonstration of four over-the-top marinades, condiments and dips that are the centre of a fantastic, fresh summer meal perfect for patio entertaining. Once you have your flavours in the form of a marinade, dip or condiment in place, all that’s left to do is grab ‘n go your fresh ingredients and a full, delicious mouth-watering meal is right at your plate!
This journey begins in the Mediterranean, exploring Portuguese flavours (with South African origins) where Preena creates an Piri Piri marinade that is used as a spicy marinade and dipping sauce for all-summer grilling. The next stop is to South America to indulge in an over-the-top fresh Argentinian Chimichurri marinade and dipping sauce that delivers the flavour for a traditional asado, an Argentinian BBQ tradition. Then guests’ palates explore Middle Eastern flavours of thyme and sumac to discover the versatility of herby Za’atar, where Preena creates Lebanese Manakish, a delicious leavened bread baked with Za’atar (aka Za’atar pizza!). And the journey ends in North America to create a Homemade Smoky Southern BBQ Sauce, all-purpose for basting, grilling and marinating that can become your all-summer staple dip as well.
She’ll throw in some Indian flavours in the mix too and demo a quick way to add Indian flavours to any summer meal with Bombay Potatoes paired with a thirst quenching Indian Spiced Mango Lemonade, with freshly squeezed lemons. And finally she’ll twist up their Smoky Southern BBQ Sauce into an Indian-fusion BBQ Marinade.
- How-to instructions by a food expert;
- Taste tour of savoury menu items;
- Complimentary welcome drink;
- Hands-on Manakish bread rolling component;
- 2 packages of Arvinda’s full-sized signature spice blends (valued at ~$17)
- Take home recipes;
- Receive an exclusive 10% off regular priced spice offerings at Arvinda’s Spices when you redeem your class registration receipt within week after the class date.
- Suitable for guests 12+.
- Suitable for vegetarians.
- Allergy Alert – We request that you inform us, at the time of registration checkout, of any dietary restrictions that may be in conflict with the menu listed in this class description. Although we make every effort to accommodate guests with allergies, we cannot guarantee that there will be no cross contamination. Please refer to our Allergy Policy for more information.
- Please plan to arrive 15-20 minutes early to leave plenty of time to find parking and beat traffic. This will allow the class to start on time for the enjoyment of all guests.
Preena Chauhan is an Indian food expert, spice lover, cooking instructor and entrepreneur who runs popular cooking classes through Arvinda's, where seasonal ingredients & fresh spices are the key to creating delicious menus. She has been teaching classes alongside her mother Arvinda since she was a teenager. Preena holds a Master in Environmental Studies degree from York University, where she had the opportunity to research traditional farming practices of spices and vegetables in South India and has run numerous culinary tours to India. She was the host of the television series, Masalas Magic Recipes on OMNI Television for two seasons and is co-creator of Arvinda's, a spice manufacturing company she runs with her brother Paresh. Preena aspires to share her multi-textured, mouthwatering food moments and love of international spice blends of the world with an audience enamoured with the foods of her culture and those who love intense spice flavours just like her!