August 21, 2019
6 PM—7 PM
When fish cooks on a grill, it loses moisture fast — faster than most meats. So preserving moisture is critical among many other considerations for rendering the tastiest grilled fish. Join Chef Jason Maw of Pier 87 as he guides you on how to grill seafood for the very best results. His lesson will start with a demonstration on grilling salmon to perfection. Guests will learn various techniques and chef tricks and get to enjoy a salmon dinner complete with sides, garnishes and a glass of beer or wine. After a delicious meal is complete, class is dismissed — but not without homework! Students will be instructed to apply their new skills at home as each will receive a a European Sea Bass (aka Bronzino) packaged and ready to take home to cook.
- Lesson & instructions by a professional chef;
- Receive a salmon dinner with sides and garnishes;
- Complimentary glass of beer or wine;
- Take-home a 16oz European Sea Bass fish.
- Suitable for adults only.
- All guests planning to consume alcohol must be able to produce valid government-issued identification to prove they are 19 years or older.
- Allergy Alert – We request that you inform us, at the time of registration checkout, of any dietary restrictions that may be in conflict with the menu listed in this class description. Although we make every effort to accommodate guests with allergies, we cannot guarantee that there will be no cross contamination. Please refer to our Allergy Policy for more information.
- Products shown in image may vary from actual products created in the class.
Chef Jason Maw was born and raised in the suburbs of Toronto. While he may have been born here, his parents were from South Africa, with ancestry originating from Canton province in China. With that background, even at a young age, Chef Jason was no stranger to multiculturalism. Growing up, dinners weren’t typical Chinese cuisine but a mixture and representation of the city that is his home. Food was always a big part of his life even at a young age as he helped his parents in the kitchen from time to time and eventually almost out of instinct started to cook for friends. Chef Jason had the good fortune of beating out a few hundred other students to enroll at Humber College’s chef training program. After completing the one year program, he jumped right into the industry working at Fusion Bar and Grill. He then left Fusion and found himself at Bistro 990 in 2000. There he progressed from apprentice to JR Sous Chef in a few years. Staying on till 2006, when a change was needed. Since then he has worked at some of the cities most reputable establishments such as Boba, Lakes and Starfish Oysterbed and Grill. He has spent his career trying to hone his craft taking in various styles and techniques. Learning French bistro cuisine from Bistro 990, incorporating international flavours from Boba, molecular gastronomy from Match Events and Catering and utilizing local and fresh seafood from Starfish Oysterbed and Grill. Chef Jason has most recently taken the position to represent Pier 87 in dynamic culinary events such as this.