6 PM—8 PM
Did you know mussels are very high in protein, low in fat, a great source of omega 3 fatty acids, AND harvested in an environmentally- conscious way? Mussels just might be the food of the future! Join executive Chef Jason Maw as he teaches you how to prepare mussels in a way that will make you ask for more; he’ll prepare the first dish, and let you prepare the second. Good thing he’ll be sending you home with a third portion!
- Learn culinary techniques and tricks by an executive chef;
- A hands- on component to the class;
- Samples of each dish created;
- Take home ingredients and instructions;
- Take home recipe cards;
- All supplies and ingredients;
- Complimentary Wine or Beer.
- Suitable for adults only.
- All guests planning to consume alcohol must be able to produce valid government-issued identification to prove they are 19 years or older.
- Allergy Alert – Shellfish will be served in this class. We request that you inform us, at the time of registration checkout, of any dietary restrictions that may be in conflict with the menu listed in this class description. Although we make every effort to accommodate guests with allergies, we cannot guarantee that there will be no cross contamination. Please refer to our Allergy Policy for more information.
- Please plan to arrive 15-20 minutes early to leave plenty of time to find parking and beat traffic. This will allow the class to start on time for the enjoyment of all guests.
- Products shown in image may vary from actual products in the class.
Chef Jason Maw was born and raised in the suburbs of Toronto. While he may have been born here, his parents were from South Africa, with ancestry originating from Canton province in China. With that background, even at a young age, Chef Jason was no stranger to multiculturalism. Growing up, dinners weren’t typical Chinese cuisine but a mixture and representation of the city that is his home. Food was always a big part of his life even at a young age as he helped his parents in the kitchen from time to time and eventually almost out of instinct started to cook for friends. Chef Jason had the good fortune of beating out a few hundred other students to enroll at Humber College’s chef training program. After completing the one year program, he jumped right into the industry working at Fusion Bar and Grill. He then left Fusion and found himself at Bistro 990 in 2000. There he progressed from apprentice to JR Sous Chef in a few years. Staying on till 2006, when a change was needed. Since then he has worked at some of the cities most reputable establishments such as Boba, Lakes and Starfish Oysterbed and Grill. He has spent his career trying to hone his craft taking in various styles and techniques. Learning French bistro cuisine from Bistro 990, incorporating international flavours from Boba, molecular gastronomy from Match Events and Catering and utilizing local and fresh seafood from Starfish Oysterbed and Grill. Chef Jason has most recently taken the position to represent Pier 87 in dynamic culinary events such as this.