Looking for a fresh summer dessert to take to the cottage or entertain at home with?
Scroll below and learn how to make this easy and delicious lemon loaf.
Lemon Cake Ingredients:
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested (separately)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1/8 cup mayo
Lemon Glaze Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
Lemon Icing Ingredients:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cutting board and knife
- Measuring cups
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add all cake ingredients and mix until well mixed. Pour evenly into a greased bundt cake pan, and bake for about one hour, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Add the lemon glaze ingredients in a microwave safe bowl, and mix well.
- Heat in the microwave in 30 second increments until the sugar is fully incorporated and no longer grainy. Let cool until it thickens up.
- Once the cake and the glaze are cool, brush the glaze all over the cake.
- In a separate bowl, prepare icing by mixing the butter, vanilla extract and lemon juice and zest together. Slowly incorporate the powdered sugar until the icing is somewhat thick, about the consistency of melted chocolate. Continue to mix until the icing is smooth. Pour or drizzle icing over the loaf.
- Top with extra zest if preferred.
Q&A With Alexandra Lai
Alexandra Lai is the Kitchen Coordinator at The District Kitchen.
WHAT CAN I USE TO SUBSTITUTE WHITE SUGAR?
AL: You can use a coconut sugar, or pure cane sugar.
WHAT IF I DO NOT HAVE LEMONS?
AL: Do not use prepackaged lemon juice. I would recommend using Limes, oranges, or grapefruits. Real lemons will taste better than prepacked lemons.
WHAT ARE MY MILK SUBSTITUTION OPTIONS?
AL: If you want to substitute the milk, for this recipe I would recommend using an oat milk. It has a nice flavor that blends nicely with the lemon. Almond milk or soy milk will work as well.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE MAYONNAISE?
AL: If you don’t want to use mayonnaise in this recipe, you can substitute it with yogurt, sour cream or you can omit this step.
WHAT IF I DO NOT HAVE PARCHMENT PAPER?
AL: If you don’t have parchment paper, please ensure that you are buttering your pans with some oil to help get rid of the stickiness. Do not use wax paper. If you are really stuck, you can use tin foil.
HOW CAN I MAKE ICING SUGAR?
AL: Add 1 cup of sugar, 1 tbs of corn starch, and then blend.
HOW DO I STORE THE LEMON LOAF?
AL: You can cover the lemon loaf and leave it out on the counter. This will last approximately 2 days. If you want it to last longer, it will last about 4 days in the fridge. If you want, before icing, you can freeze the loaf.