Have you ever had Mie Goreng? This sweet and spicy Indonesian noodle was popularized by street vendors, but is frequently served at fine dining establishments.
Mie Goreng is bold and a guaranteed hit – and now you can make it at home!
- 2 packages instant ramen noodles
- 4 tbsp dark soy sauce (or half dark soy sauce, half kecap manis)
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce (or mushroom replacement)
- 3 tsp sambal oelek (or to taste)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 5 cloves garlic
- 100 g raw, peeled, and deveined shrimp
- 100 g bbq chicken or pork, sliced thin
- 2 cups beansprouts
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- Green onion, to garnish
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons
- Large, non-stick pan
- In a bowl, mix soy sauces, oyster sauce, sambal oelek, and sesame oil in a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare noodles according to package directions and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil over medium heat. Add egg, and cook, stirring constantly until well-cooked. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat remaining vegetable oil over high heat. Add garlic and shrimp and cook for 30 seconds. Add vegetables and meat and cook one minute, until colours brighten up and soften slightly.
- Add noodles, sauce, and egg to pan. Continue to cook for 2 minutes, or until the sauce is reduced and noodles colour.
- Garnish with green onions and serve immediately.